Tuesday 14 May 2013

May 14: Today we started with a good breakfast, but not as good as our breakfast at Intercontinental. After breakfast mum and dad went on a hop on hop off bus tour. I stayed home and did home work and after maybe four hours they came home and we all went an had a great lunch. Really close to where we had lunch was the Berlin Story museum (Berlin from 1250 thru to Hitler, the end of WWII and the walling-in of West Berlin during the Cold war). We were there for a long time and were almost late for a tour of the bunker (underground shelter built during the cold war to hide from nuclear bombs). The bunker could hold 3,600 people and there were four of them in Berlin to hold 14,400 people total but there are 3 million people living here. This bunker had enough supplies for the 3,600 people to stay for 2 weeks. After the tour we slowly made our way home and stopped at the Berlin wall along the way for a photo.  During the Cold War the only way into West Berlin (other than flying) was thru Checkpoint Charlie which we walked by on the way home. Now we are going to say, bye for now.

Holocaust memorial
Berlin Wall



The Story of Berlin museum

bombshelter


Tiergarten
Checkpoint Charlie before 1989
Checkpoint Charlie today

2 comments:

  1. Hi Isa, I continue to read your blog but I've been lazy with my comments... sorry =) So I just wanted to say "hi" and remind you that I love reading about your adventures... you bring a smile to my face every tea break (although, I'm also very jealous). Bye for now =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berlin certainly is so full of history.
    I love the picture of you by the wall dressed in cool olive drab. I'm thinking radical pinup chic. what is that weirdly cool pic with the ?eyeball?

    ReplyDelete